Just before 11:30 am Tuesday, Antioch Police responded to several gunshots in the area of Putnam Street near D Street in the City of Antioch.
According to preliminary information, this appears to be a robbery followed by a shootout and a foot pursuit up near the Waste Water Plant on D Street. Its unclear if anyone is in custody or if the shooter was contacted.
One witness stated they heard approximately 8-10 shots fired.
The incident prompted Park Middle School in the Antioch Unified School District to go into lockdown while releasing the following message to parents:
“Park Middle School experienced a lockdown situation today, as a precaution due to events that occurred off campus. All students and staff were on campus, locked down, and perfectly safe. Once again, the event occurred off campus, and none of the students were in danger. Our lockdown was precautionary measure to ensure student safety. The APD has now lifted our lockdown status, and we are moving back to our regular schedule. We appreciate the cooperation of all students, staff and parents during the event”.
Antioch Police are still on scene investigating as of 12:00 pm and its unclear if there were any injuries.
2:45 PM UPDATE via Antioch Police
On 9/28/21, at 10:53 AM, Antioch Police Department Dispatch received multiple phone calls of a shooting in progress at the Antioch Water Treatment Plant at 401 Putnam St.
While officers were in route to that location, additional callers reported an armed robbery that had just occurred at a business in the 2200 block of A Street. Officers eventually learned that three males robbed the business on A Street at gunpoint and then fled in a black sedan.
A victim of the initial robbery chased after the suspects in his vehicle, when the suspects began shooting at him. The victim followed the suspect vehicle into the water treatment plant, where further shots were fired. The three suspects fled on foot through the water treatment plant to Lone Tree Wy, where two of them were apprehended by Antioch Police Officers.
Park Middle School was placed on lockdown for approximately 30 minutes while officers conducted an extensive search of the area for the third suspect. At no point was there any indication that the suspects were ever on school grounds. No one was injured as a result of the gunfire, and it appears the suspects inadvertently ended up in the water treatment plant as they were trying to flee from the pursuing victim.
All of the stolen property, along with two firearms, were recovered by officers on scene. One subject was booked into County Jail for armed robbery and assault with a deadly weapon.
The 17-year-old male suspect was booked into Juvenile Hall for armed robbery and assault with a deadly weapon. The third suspect was described as a young black male wearing a black hooded sweatshirt. That suspect is still outstanding.
This preliminary information is made available by the Field Services Division. Any further inquiries into the status of this case should be done via the Media Access Telephone Line 925-779-6874. Any further information or additional press releases will be provided by the Investigations Bureau.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Antioch Police Department non emergency line at (925)778-2441. You may also text-a-tip to 274637 (CRIMES) using the key word ANTIOCH
City of Antioch Known Shootings in 2021
- Sept. 7: Antioch: Man Struck Twice by Gunfire Tuesday Night
- Sept. 6: Labor Day Triple shooting
- Aug 13: Antioch Police Say Neighbor Dispute Leads to Shots Fired Call and Arrests
- Aug 11: Shots fired inside apartment of 3100 block Lone Tree Way, no injuries/no story
- Aug 4: Antioch: 1 Shot on Union Mine Drive Wednesday Afternoon
- July 27: UPDATED: Wife Shoots Husband in the Face in Antioch on Buchanan Road
- July 23: Update: Three Shot in Shootout at Romi’s Liquor and Food in Antioch
- July 18: Female Struck in Drive-By Shooting on Auto Center Drive in Antioch
- July 4: Antioch Police Investigating Fourth of July Shooting
- June 29: Antioch Police Identify Suspect Wanted in Tuesday Attempted Murder Shooting
- June 27: Man Who Shot at Family Taken into Custody by Antioch Police SWAT Team
- June 13: Antioch Police Say Man Shot During Botched Home Invasion Robbery, One Stabbed
- May 16: Man Pistol Whipped and Shot on Lemontree Way
- May 15: 29-rounds fired in Antioch Marina after argument
- May 12: Antioch Police Announce Arrest in Homicide of 12-Year-Old
- May 3: Juvenile Shot in the Face Early Sunday Morning
- April 29: Antioch: Man Shot Multiple Times in Parking Lot of Cannabis Dispensary
- April 28: 1 Dead in Antioch Shooting on Garrow Drive
- April 27: Man Shot in the Leg Tuesday Night on Mimosa Court
- April 19: Female Driver Accidentally Shot by Male Passenger Playing With Firearm
- April 17: Antioch Police Say 16-Year-Old Shot and Killed Saturday Night
- April 17 –Antioch Police Say Neighbor Dispute Led to Self-Defense Fatal Shooting
- April 16: Antioch Police Shoot Man Armed With Knife Who Was Having Mental Health Crisis
- March 27: German Shepherd Shot by Fleeing Suspect on Saturday Has Died
- March 26: Man Who Fired Multiple Shots Inside Home in Custody After Police Standoff
- March 14: Antioch Police Investigating Saturday Night Shooting on D Street
- March 9: Updated: Two Shot During Drive-By Shooting in Antioch
- March 4: Antioch Police Investigate Shooting on W 7th Street
- Feb 27: Updated: Antioch Police Investigating Saturday Shooting
- Feb 25: Updated: 18-Year-Old Shows Up at Local Antioch Hospital With Gunshot Wound
- Feb 24: Antioch: Woman Struck Twice by Gunfire on W 20th Street
- Feb 24: UPDATED: Two Arrested After Armed Robbery and Shooting at Antioch Target
- Feb 24: Discovery Bay: Sheriff’s Office Arrests Homicide Suspect in Multiple Shooting Incident
- Feb 4: One Wounded After Attempted Robbery Leads to Gunfight
- Jan 15: Three Shot in Sycamore Drive Shooting