OAKLEY, CALIF — On Monday, 19 environmental groups and community leaders, including the League of Conservation Voters of the East Bay and the Sierra Club, collectively representing more than 30,000 members fighting the Delta Tunnels, announced their support for Diane Burgis for Contra Costa County Supervisor in District 3.
“The Sierra Club proudly endorses Diane Burgis for the Contra Costa County Board of Supervisors,” said Norman La Force of the Sierra Club San Francisco Bay Chapter. “She will be a strong voice for protecting the urban limit line and promoting smart growth in our county. She will also add to the elected officials opposed to the destruction of the Delta with the ill-conceived tunnels that will not only be destructive to the environment but also harm future economic development that relies on our water staying where it belongs, with us.”
Diane, a former Delta Protection Commission member and advocate for the East Contra Costa County Habitat Conservancy, is the Executive Director of the Friends of Marsh Creek Watershed and an elected member of the East Bay Regional Parks District Board representing most of District 3. She was recently inducted into the Contra Costa County Women’s Commission Hall of Fame for her work protecting county natural resources.
- Supervisor Mary Nejedly Piepho, District 3 Contra Costa County Supervisor & Chair of the Delta Protection Commission
- Erik Vink, Delta Protection Commission Executive Director
- Joan Buchanan, President of Restore the Delta & Former State Assemblymember
- Congressman Jerry McNerney, Member of the House Subcommittee on Environment and Economy
- Ron Brown, Former Save Mount Diablo Executive Director
- Seth Adams, Save Mount Diablo Land Conservation Director
- Lori Cook, Fmr. Antioch Parks & Recreation Commissioner
- Sandra Myers, Brentwood Parks and Recreation Commissioner
- Ayn Weiskamp, East Bay Regional Park District Director
- Beverly Lane, East Bay Regional Park District Director
- Doug Siden, East Bay Regional Park District Director
- Dennis Waespi, East Bay Regional Park District Director
- John Sutter, East Bay Regional Park District Director
- Whitney Dodson, East Bay Regional Park District Director
- Bette Boatmun, Contra Costa Water District Director
- Constance Holdaway, Contra Costa Water District Director
- John Coleman, East Bay Municipal Utility District Director
- Andy Katz, East Bay Municipal Utility District Director
“Diane’s environmental credentials are unparalleled,” said Ron Brown, Retired Executive Director of Save Mount Diablo. “She has a long history of fighting for our local waterways, parks, farms, ranches and natural lands. I know we can count on her to defend the Delta and our open space on the County Board of Supervisors, while also developing the county responsibly so that our grandchildren can enjoy the land we love.”
Before joining the parks board, Diane Burgis served as an Oakley City councilmember and spent over ten years as a small business owner. She highlights four priorities for her candidacy: improving public safety, attracting economic development, ensuring fiscal accountability and preserving the delta for future generations.
Voters can learn more about her and her platform at www.dianeburgis.com.