Antioch, CA, – Eastern Contra Costa Transit Authority (Tri Delta Transit) is hosting a virtual public hearing from October 14, 2020 thru November 15, 2020 to obtain community input regarding a proposed income-based fare discount that would provide a 20% discount for low-income riders on Tri Delta Transit fixed-route and Tri MyRide service.
You can join the virtual website anytime by visiting www.TriDeltaTransit.com/publichearing .
“Getting feedback from our community is an important step in the process of considering any major change to Tri Delta Transit service or fares.” stated Jeanne Krieg CEO.
In July of 2020, the Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC) initiated an 18-month pilot program to reduce the cost of public transportation for low-income adults age 19-64 on public transit around the region. Tri Delta Transit is proposing to bring this income-based fare discount to eastern Contra Costa County in an effort to make transit more affordable to a wider group of people.
A single-ride general public fare for adults is currently $2. With the proposed 20% discount, qualifying applicants would pay $1.60. If this program is adopted, applicants would need to meet the following criteria to qualify:
- Be between the age of 19 and 65.
- Live in one of the nine Bay Area counties: Contra Costa, Alameda, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano, and Sonoma.
- Not have an RTC discount card.
- Have a household income that is at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level (for example for a family of four the adjusted gross income would need to be $52,400 or less to qualify). For more information on income requirements and a list of current participating public transit agencies visit www.ClipperStartCard.com .
It is expected that the program will run for 12 months beginning mid-January 2021. During that time Tri Delta Transit will evaluate the program and determine if it offers a meaningful benefit to Tri Delta Transit passengers. After the trial period this may become a permanent program, subject to approval by the Tri Delta Transit Board of Directors.
Public comment must be received by November 15, 2020. There are many ways to submit a public comment or question:
- Call: 925-384-2522
- Fax: 925-757-2530, Attn: Public Comment
- E-mail: [email protected]
- Online: www.TriDeltaTransit.com/publichearing
- Mail or in-person: Tri Delta Transit, 801 Wilbur Ave., Antioch, CA 94509 Attn: Public Comment
ABOUT TRI DELTA TRANSIT
Tri Delta Transit provides over 2 million trips each year to a population of over 315,000 residents in the 225 square miles of Eastern Contra Costa County. They currently operate 15 local bus routes Monday – Friday, 5 local bus routes on weekends, door-to-door bus service for senior citizens and people with disabilities, on-demand rideshare services and shuttle services to community events. To learn more, visit TriDeltaTransit.com