This town hall is to allow survivors, politicians, and non-profit leaders to engage and brainstorm tangible policy changes and actions to support survivors. We look forward to holding a space to hear potent testimonies of the struggles victims have endured post attack, to listen to the demands of victims, and to address the flaws in our criminal justice system. This will be a platform for a conversation and a chance for leaders to reflect on the direct impact they could have on victims’ lives through their policy decisions.
“I knew we needed to get the people who can make change happen in the same room,” said The Yellow Heart Committee Founder N’dea Johnson. “Getting people together, especially during COVID, is never easy. But the work we’re doing, and the education we’re spreading, it’s just too important to wait.”
The virtual town hall is scheduled for October 17th, 2020 at 4 PM PST/7 PM EST. It consists of three panels: Urgency of the Issue, Reimagining Support for Survivors, and Addressing Necessary Policy Changes.
In addition, there will be testimonials from survivors, and a panel of political figures. They are listed below.
- US Congressman Eric Swalwell
- US Congressman Mike Thompson
- CA State Assemblymember Rob Bonta
- CA State Assemblymember Shirley Weber
- CA State Assemblymember Tim Grayson
- SC State House Candidate Dr. Jermaine Johnson
- Antioch City Council Member Monica Wilson
- Oakland City Council President Rebecca Kaplan
- President of Alliance For Hope International Casey Gwinn
- CEO of Love Never Fails Vanessa Russell
- President of SF Pride Carolyn Wysinger
- CA State Assemblymember Rebecca Bauer-Kahan
- NBC Investigative Reporter and Survivor Candice Nguyen
- Suisun City Vice Mayor Wanda WIlliams
What: Virtual Zoom Town Hall When: Saturday, October 17, 2020 Where: Zoom.