The City of Walnut creek is now accepting applications from bars and restaurants after making $1 million in grants available. Businesses could receive up to $10,000 each after the city council unanimously approved the grant.
According to the City, at least 75% of the city’s full and limited services independent restaurants could be eligible to the grant program.
Here is the Staff Report on the item from earlier this week.
Now Accepting Applications!
Apply now for this first come/first served grant program for restaurants.
The City of Walnut Creek’s Restaurant Grant Program is created to help the restaurant community with expenses related to business operations during the COVID-19 pandemic. Restaurants in Walnut Creek attract people to eat and shop at retail stores, and the success of restaurants helps maintain the economic vitality of our community.
Grants will be distributed on a first come/first served basis, with applicants required to meet general criteria for eligibility. Note that grant recipients are subject to an audit on use of funds, and repayment of funds may be required if fraudulent information is provided. Additionally, only complete applications will be considered; applicants are required to meet all eligibility criteria and submit all required documents and information.
1. Physical brick and mortar, storefront restaurant or bar location in incorporated Walnut Creek. (No solely catering operations.)
2. Independently owned (no national, corporately-owned chains) and with the following location restrictions:
a. Five or fewer locations in the northern California nine-county region (Contra Costa, Alameda, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Marin, Solano, Sonoma, Napa)
b. Local franchise owners are eligible
3. In good standing with the City of Walnut Creek, including:
a. Active business license
b. No outstanding city debts, fines or tax liens c. Must be in compliance with all State, County and Local Health Orders
4. Business open and operating in Walnut Creek as of June 2019
5. Financial documents that sufficiently demonstrate the financial status of the business – including a 25% revenue loss associated with the pandemic – available and submitted for review (further described below)
Approved Uses of Grant Funds
The following are considered approved uses for grant funds. Businesses receiving a grant are subject to audit at the discretion of the city.
- Rent/Operating Expenses
- Payroll/Payroll taxes
- Outdoor Dining COVID-19-related Winterizing
- COVID-19-related Interior Improvements (e.g. partitions, dividers, air purifiers, etc.)
- Physical improvements for take-out window
- Personal Protective Equipment; COVID-19-related Sanitation; Health & Safety Equipment
Application and Award Process
A completed online application form is required, along with submission of several financial documents.
In addition to meeting the criteria for eligibility, applicants must submit documents that show the impact of COVID-19 on business operations and the financial loss incurred.
- Evidence of at least 25% loss in revenue shown through submission of financial documents as noted below. Documents should be marked “CONFIDENTIAL & PROPRIETARY”. (NOTE that the City of Walnut Creek cannot guarantee confidentiality of documents if required under law to disclose.)
- 2019 tax returns
- Profit & Loss Statements from October – December 2019 and October – December 2020
- W-9 (This is required for distribution of funds. Business name and address noted on W-9 will be the address where check is mailed.)
- Number of employees
- Business square footage
- Description of need and how funds will be used
Only complete applications that meet all eligibility requirements will be considered. Applications will be accepted until all funds are dispersed – whichever occurs first. Any applications that are not complete may be reviewed if there are funds remaining for disbursement.
|Full-Service Restaurants||Limited-Service Restaurants/Bars|