After winning at the Oakland Diocese Chapter level, five local youths advanced to the State Knights of Columbus Free Throw Championship where they had great success.
Here are the results:
- 9 yr. old boy – Ryan Wisely, Oakley, CA – STATE CHAMPION
- 12 yr. old girl – Lilyana Ponce, Antioch, CA – 2nd place at State
- 13 yr. old girl – Kylie Wisely, Oakley, CA – STATE CHAMPION
- 14 yr. old boy – Eric Mendoza, Antioch, CA – STATE CHAMPION
- 14 yr. old girl – Brigida Coria, Brentwood, CA – STATE CHAMPION
The Knights of Columbus Free Throw Championship is sponsored annually, with winners progressing through local, district, and jurisdictional competitions. International champions are announced by the Knights of Columbus international headquarters based on scores from the jurisdiction-level competitions. All boys and girls ages 8 to 14 are eligible to participate and will compete in their respective age divisions. Participants are required to furnish proof of age and written parental consent.
Council #3265 in Antioch, CA is one of 17,000 Knights of Columbus councils that make up the world’s largest Catholic fraternal service organization. Founded in 1882 to assist working-class and immigrant Catholics in the United States, today the approximately two million members of the Knights put their faith into action through a broad range of charitable causes locally, nationally and internationally with financial contributions and hands-on service.