Washington, DC – As a longtime champion for creating sustainable water solutions in California and throughout the nation, Congressman Jerry McNerney (CA-09) has introduced H.R. 5302, which calls for the authorization of 12 water recycling projects to strengthen California’s water infrastructure and bring more stability to the region’s water supply.
“In my district, we’ve seen firsthand the benefits of these kinds of investments,” said Congressman McNerney. “Water recycling has not only improved the reliability of our water supply, but it has also helped to reduce polluted discharge into the fragile Bay-Delta ecosystem.”
H.R. 5302 would authorize 12 regional water recycling projects that span from California’s Central Valley, Central Coast, and San Francisco Bay Area to Hawaii. When funded and constructed, these projects would provide nearly 20,000 acre-feet of new water.
“On behalf of the Western Recycled Water Coalition, I want to thank Congressman McNerney for his leadership and Members Gabbard and Swalwell for their cosponsorship of the legislation. Recycled water is critical to meeting our nations limited water resources and the projects authorized by H.R. 5302 will diversify our water portfolio and build capacity and resiliency into our water supplies,” said Jayne Strommer, Executive Director for the Western Recycled Water Coalition.
H.R. 5302 is co-sponsored by Representatives Tulsi Gabbard (HI-02), Eric Swalwell (CA-15) and Jimmy Panetta (CA-20).
List of 12 Water Recycling Projects
- Benicia Water Reuse Project
- Bayfront Recycled Water Facility
- Central Redwood City Recycled Water Project
- Hayward Recycled Water Project Phase II
- Ironhouse Sanitary District Recycled Water Project
- King City Recycled Water Project
- Mountain View Recycled Water System Expansion and Improvement
- Palo Alto Enhanced Recycled Water Facility
- Palo Alto Recycled Water Distribution Extension
- Pure Water Monterey a Groundwater Replenishment Project
- South Santa Clara County Recycled Water Project
- Waikoloa Beach Resort Wastewater Reclamation Facility Expansion Project
Rep. Jerry McNerney proudly serves the constituents of California’s 9th Congressional District that includes portions of San Joaquin, Contra Costa, and Sacramento Counties. For more information on Rep. McNerney’s work, follow him on Facebook and on Twitter @RepMcNerney