Martinez, CA: The Contra Costa Transportation Authority (CCTA) and the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) are constructing the first phase of a multi-phased project to improve safety and help reduce congestion at the Interstate-680/State Route 4 Interchange in central Contra Costa County.
The agencies are planning closures to facilitate construction work on State Route 4 over Grayson Creek. These closures will impact State Route 4 and both of the Interstate 680 connector ramps, spanning Martinez, Pacheco, and Concord.
CCTA and Caltrans have scheduled the closures during evening hours in order to minimize impacts to the motoring public.
Work during the closures will include transporting and setting 24 girders spanning Grayson Creek for bridge construction. In order to ensure crew and public safety during planned construction work, temporary nighttime freeway closures in both directions of the State Route 4 and Interstate 680 connector ramps will occur for a total of six nights.
Planned closures include:
Friday August 21st, Tuesday August 25th, Thursday August 27th, and Sunday August 30, 2020 closures will occur between 11pm – 4am:
• Nightly lane closures on Eastbound and Westbound State Route 4 from Pacheco Boulevard to Solano Way
• Nightly closures of the Interstate 680/State Route 4 connector ramps
Full Closure of Eastbound State Route 4 between Interstate 680 and Solano Way between 11pm and 8am from Saturday, August 22nd through Monday, August 24, 2020
- Full freeway closure of Eastbound State Route 4 between Pacheco Boulevard and Solano Way
- Full ramp closure of Eastbound State Route 4 connector to Northbound Interstate 680
- Full ramp closure of Southbound Interstate 680 connector to Eastbound State Route 4
- Full Ramp closure of Northbound Interstate 680 connector to Eastbound State Route 4
Westbound State Route 4 Closures between Solano Way and Interstate 680 Wednesday August 26th between 9pm and 6am, Friday August 28th and Saturday, August 29, 2020 between 10pm and 8am.
- Full Freeway Closure of Westbound State Route 4 between Solano Way and Pacheco Boulevard
- Full Ramp Closure of Northbound Interstate 680 connector to Westbound State Route 4
- Full Ramp Closure of Westbound State Route 4 connector to Southbound Interstate 680
- Full Ramp Closure of Westbound State Route 4 connector to Northbound Interstate 680
Motorists are advised to be alert for on-site closure and detour signs, and to Slow for the Cone Zone
Please drive with caution through the detours and leave a safe traveling distance between your vehicle and vehicle ahead of you. Please note that the construction schedule and closure information presented here are subject to change based on weather and other conditions. We
appreciate everyone’s patience and cooperation as we work to complete these important improvements.
About the Interstate 680/State Route 4 Interchange Improvement Project
The Interstate 680/State Route 4 Interchange Improvement Project will widen approximately four miles of State Route 4 in both directions between Morello Avenue in Martinez and State Route 242 by adding a third lane in the eastbound and westbound directions to improve on-ramp and off-ramp merging. The project also includes widening of five structures, extending eastbound State Route 4’s carpool lane approximately two miles, installation of safety lighting, and replacement of the Grayson Creek Bridge to bring it up to current State bridge safety codes. This segment of work in this multi-phased project will lay the groundwork for future improvements to connector ramps, improve traffic safety and enhance traffic flow.