The Livermore Police Department issued a video on Facebook Monday in an effort to cut down on package theft. The video may be viewed by clicking here.
***2-Minute Safety Tip – Reducing Package Theft***
“Tis the season for criminals to quickly ruin the holiday joy by seeking out crimes of opportunity. As we prepare for the holiday season, our community members will be working hard, putting in a lot of time and money into ordering gifts for their loved ones. Those gifts will be delivered to front doors in time for the holidays. This is a time of year where opportunistic thieves are out looking for those packages that have been just delivered to your doorstep.
Preventing these criminals from victimizing you takes teamwork. We’d like to ask for your help by doing your part by protecting your packages as best as you can. We are stepping up enforcement and we’re out looking for those criminals who are looking to take advantage of the holiday season and packages being delivered.
As you begin your holiday shopping, There are a number of delivery options and preventative measures available to the consumer that can help reduce package thefts:
- Keep the tracking number and closely follow the delivery progress of your package.
- Request a signature and proof of delivery.
- Contact the shipping company and arrange for the time of delivery to be when you are at home.
- Have your package delivered to place you trust, for example, your work.
- Have FedEx and UPS packages sent to their local stores or distribution centers to be held for pickup.
- Amazon now has Amazon Lockers where your package will be delivered the Amazon Locker for you to pick up at a later time using a unique code.
If you see someone suspicious lurking around homes or following delivery trucks, call LPD’s Non-Emergency line at (925) 371-4987 so we can respond. If you see an in-progress crime, call 911 immediately and do not approach the subject.
Let’s work together to make this a joyous holiday season for all. See something suspicious, say something by calling us.