On this episode, I chat with Debbie Toth, president and CEO of Choice in Aging out of Pleasant Hill, regarding Governor Gavin Newsoms’ call for a Master Plan on Aging.
We talk about how Governor Newsom in the State of the State Address called for a Master Plan in Aging, yet in his budget release, did not include a budget to address the issue of the aging population. We discuss the need for services and Toth even discusses which elected officials are working towards a solution and beginning to understand the need. We also dive into how California Universal Healthcare could work as part of the solution if implemented.
- iTunes Direct Link: Click here
- Google Play Direct Link: Click here
- Spotify Direct Link: Click here
- Stitcher Direct Link: Click here
- 00:48 – Governor Gavin Newsom calls for Master Plan in Aging, but no budget provided
- 02:12 – Overview of the Master Plan in Aging based on Press Release of State of State speech.
- 03:09 – Alzheimer’s Disease vs. Plan in Aging, is it mixing the two?
- 05:20 – Should this Master Plan in Aging become its own California State Department?
- 07:12 – Toth sounding the alarm in Contra Costa County, especially for transportation services for seniors. Should be preparing systems in place now to reduce costs later.
- 09:30 – estimated cost to solve problem? Should we take high-speed rail money to fund this?
- 11:03 – Toth identifies local elected officials who are working on a solution: Karen Mitchoff, John Gioia, Federal Glover, Diane Burgis, Candace Andersen.
- 14:12 – Aside from Mark DeSaulnier when he was in Senate, who on state level is being a champion for seniors? Senator Bill Dodd, Hannah Beth Jackson, California Senior Caucus, Carol Liu
- 17:00 – Should those state elected officials who are not making this a priority, should they be replaced? Upon more education, who has given Toth the best reaction?
- 20:45 – How does one go about creating an advocate network to push this issue on Master Plan in Aging?
- 23:10 – Toth explains by next year, she hopes Governor Gavin Newsom has a line item for his Master Plan in Aging and highlights what should be included.
- 24:48 – How California Universal Healthcare could assist in this issue and solve a part of the puzzle.
- 25:45 – Toth plus Choice in Aging and what her organization is working to accomplish in Contra Costa County.
- 28:40 – Highlights expansion of Adult Day Care Service in East Contra Costa County
- 30:00 – Closing
Shattered System Study: http://www.cicaihss.org/sites/default/files/aginglong_termcarereport.pdf
For more information on Choice in Aging, visit them at: www.choiceinaging.org
Note – show will be available on both iTunes and Google Play any day (both have been approved) so be sure to check them out and hit subscribe.