On Wednesday night, the Town of Discovery Bay Community Services District will discuss the idea of eliminating, refurbishing or building a new community center pool.
According to the staff report, the CSD is being presented with three options:
- Eliminate the pool: fill it with dirt for future landscape or other alternate use. The cost is $120,750.
- Refurbish the pool: To date, they have spent $92,230 on the pool and additional costs would be $168,305 to completer with a total estimated cost of $260,534.
- Build a new pool: this would be a larger pool at a cost of $1,391,212.
The report states the Parks and Recreation Committee is recommending Option 3 of building a new pool to allow more aquatic programming choices which they say will offer more cost recovery opportunities.
According to the Finance Committee:
Finance Committee recommends paying for Pool Option #3 (estimated$1,391,212) with funds from Hofmann Settlement in the amount of $820,472andborrow balance of $570,741from Wastewater. Pay back of the funds borrowed from Wastewater would be pursuant to a loan with a 10-Year term in annual increments of $57,074. The source of funds to repay the proposed loan would be from amounts remaining in the Hofmann Settlement, Hofmann Settlement accrued interest, and Community Center Reserves (if needed). The 10-year payback allows for greater cash flow and financial flexibility
- Hofmann Settlement Fund Balance (at end of 10 years): $0
- Community Center Reserve Balance: $286,336 (if up to $45,638 is used)
The staff report also stated the pool operations and staffing expenses would increase by $51,270 to $136,035, however, they say projected pool revenue estimates come in at $83,500 which is up from the previous year where the revenue was at $21,678.
If you go:
Wednesday, April 3, 2019
Community Center at 1601 Discovery Bay Blvd.
Town of Discovery Bay
Full Staff Report: https://www.todb.ca.gov/sites/main/files/2019-04-03_agenda_packet.pdf
- Geotechnical Engineering Report: https://www.todb.ca.gov/sites/main/files/d-8_terracon_db_georeport_2019.pdf
- Terracon Facility Condition Assessment Report: https://www.todb.ca.gov/sites/main/files/2019-02-19_facility_condition_assessment.pdf
- Property Condition Report: https://www.todb.ca.gov/sites/main/files/2019-02-19_property_condition_report__02-15-2019.pdf