The Town of Discovery Bay Community Services District Directors appointed Mark Simon as its Board President and Chris Steele as its Vice President for 2014.
The Town of Discovery Bay does not rotate its Director positions, but instead, the Directors themselves make annual nominations and vote on its President, Vice President, and President Pro Tem. During the meeting, a question of process quickly came up after Director Simon tried to take a quick vote after he was nominated to be president which would close the nomination process.
Listening to the audio, Mark Simon was nominated (2:06) and he called for a vote quickly (2:10). A few seconds later Kevin Graves chimed in asking if that was all the nominations and an end to the discussion.
Simon responded “It’s one and done.”
Legal corrected Simon stating that you actually take all the nominations, take public comments, hold a public discussion once all the nominations are had they could then take the vote.
After going through the correct process, Simon was appointed as CSD Board President in a 3-0 vote with Graves and Marianne Wiesen abstaining.
The nominations for Vice President got interesting as Wiesen nominated Graves while Chris Steele and Bill Pease nominated themselves.
Wiesen made a motion to appoint Graves which died after no one had seconded the motion. Pease nominated himself for Vice President which also died for lack of a second. Finally, Steele nominated himself which was seconded and appointed 4-0 with Graves abstaining.
The Board then moved onto President Pro Tem. Director Pease nominated himself for Pro Tem while Wiesen nominated Graves for the position. Graves was appointed in a 3-0 vote with two abstentions.
Kevin Graves abstained from all three votes.
Below are the committee assignments. (Director Appointed / Alternate)
- Contra Costa County Aviation Advisory Committee – Graves / Steele
- Contra Costa County Code Enforcement – Wiesen / Simon
- Contra Costa Special Districts Association – Pease / Simon
- East Contra Costa Fire Protection District Liaison – Graves / Simon
- East County Water Management Association – Simon / Steele
- LAFCO Liaison – Steele / Pease
- Police Services (P6 Committee) – Pease / Wiesen
- School District Representative/Liaison – Steele / Graves
- Regional Transportation Agencies – Pease / Graves
Subcommittees (Director Appointed / Alternate)
- Budget Subcommittee – Simon / Pease
- Communications Committee – Graves / Steele
- Community Center Subcommittee – Steele & Graves
- Investment Oversight Subcommittee – Steele / Simon
- Landscaping Subcommittee – Simon / Wiesen
- Park and Recreation Subcommittee – Wiesen / Graves
- Public Financing Authority Subcommittee – Graves / Simon
- Water & Wastewater Subcommittee – Steele / Graves
The meeting was held January 8, 2014.