The East Contra Costa Fire Protection District and CALFIRE are working an incident in 12,000 block of Marsh Creek Rd in Clayton that has displaced at least 5-people Monday morning.
The incident began around 6:30 am Monday according to Battalion Chief Ross Macumber where he said AmeriGas was called to the scene where a dead tree blew over and fell on a nearly full 500-gallon propane tank.
Macumber says the tank was knocked over and began leaking. By 7:30 am, CALFIRE was called to the scene after Amerigas could not stop the leak.
“The tank got knocked over and is leaking so the course of action is to let the tank leak itself off over the next several hours,” said Macumber who added they evacuated multiple homes and others in the area have been asked to shelter in place.
Macumber said the incident is isolated and there is no other threat to the public, however, folks driving on Marsh Creek Road may smell propane gas for the next several hours.
The American Red Cross was also requested to the scene.
CALFIRE will remain on scene until the tank is empty which could take as long as 5-hours. The incident is not impacting traffic on Marsh Creek Road.