The Contra Costa County Library is celebrating Discover & Go Month virtually this October. The Library’s ongoing partnership with Bay Area museums and cultural venues looks a little different this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
This year’s celebration will include a variety of online events for all ages. It also includes a fun trivia quiz with a chance to win prizes, and a partnership with the Food Bank of Contra Costa & Solano to collect food for those in need.
- Tuesday, October 8, 10 a.m. – A garden themed storytime for kids featuring storyteller, Miss Amy. tinyurl.com/CCCLIB-GardenStorytime
- Thursday, October 17, 10 a.m. – A Zoom webinar by the Charles M. Schulz Museum for kids called “Cartooning with Peanuts.“ tinyurl.com/CCCLIB-CartooningClass
- Tuesday, October 20, 6:30 p.m. – Hidden Meanings in Chinese Art: A Presentation by the Asian Art Museum. tinyurl.com/CCCLIB-AsianArt
- Tuesday, October 27, 1 p.m. – A Zoom webinar on historic art by the Legion of Honor called “Last Supper in Pompeii: From the Table to the Grave.” tinyurl.com/CCCLIB-Art-Pompeii
- Saturday, October 31, 10 a.m. – A Zoom webinar by Ruth Bancroft Garden for called “Basic Design Principles – Gardening in Small Space.” tinyurl.com/CCCLIB-GardenSmSpaces
Some other Discover & Go venues are open and as health orders expand more venues such as the California Academy of Sciences will reopen. Patrons can find out which venues are currently participating and check for pass availability by logging on to Discover & Go at: ccclib.discoverandgo.net.
Those who participate in our Discover & Go trivia quiz will be automatically entered into our prize drawing. Prizes include a free annual membership to Ruth Bancroft Garden, Oakland Zoo passes, Safeway gift cards, tote bags, t-shirts and more.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Library is unable to collect food items at the libraries. However, you can donate food in person at the Ruth Bancroft Gardens, at 1552 Bancroft Rd, Walnut Creek, CA 94598: ruthbancroftgarden.org/ or visit the Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano’s website at foodbankccs.org/.
Discover & Go is a nationally recognized partnership between libraries and museums offering free and low-cost passes for world-class cultural venues to library cardholders from every community and background. The program was created by the Contra Costa County Library in 2011 and libraries across the state and country now participate in or mirror the program.
For more information about the program, please contact library staff by emailing [email protected] or call (800) 984-4636.