Contra Costa County Fire is reporting that on July 4, between 7:00 pm and midnight, they responded to a 67 fires. In all, 10 structure fires, 27 vegetation fires, and other exterior fires.
They also confirmed that the cause of 16 of the fires were due to fireworks, however, no structures were lost. At one point, they were only dispatching a single engine to non-structure fires. Several calls were firefighters responding to boxes of fireworks exploding.
Incidents of note:
- 8:30 pm – Mims Ave, Bay Point – vegetation fire threatened homes.
- 9:45 pm: Cordoba Way, Antioch – two vehicles destroyed after a firework caught bushes on fire.
- 10:15 pm: Christopher Ct, Antioch – vegetation fire along the canal caught fire which due to wind several homes were threatened with evacuations occurring. Firefighters limited damage to the backyards.
- 10:30 pm: O St, Antioch – outside fire occurred causing a transformer to catch fire. Roller rink threatened but did not catch.
- 11:00 pm: Southland & Oak Hill, Pittsburg – illegal firework sparked a vegetation fire threatening at least 20-homes.
- 11:30: Crestpark, Antioch – Two homes caught fire with a gas meter on fire. Crews quickly knocked this fire down preventing extensions into the home.
Will update as more data is provided.