Martinez, CA – The Contra Costa County Board of Supervisors is seeking applicants who are interested in serving on its 20-member Juvenile Justice Coordinating Council (JJCC). The JJCC currently has the following two (2) vacancies:
- At-Large Representative (1)
- Community Based Organization Representative (1)
The Juvenile Justice Coordinating Council is a multiagency advisory body that informs the development and implementation of a countywide juvenile justice plan composed of several critical parts, including, but not limited to an assessment of existing law enforcement, probation, education, mental health, health, social services, drug and alcohol and youth services resources, which specifically target both at-promise as well as system-involved youth, and their families.
The JJCC will also coordinate on a countywide basis the work of those governmental and non-governmental organizations engaged in activities designed to reduce the incidence of juvenile crime and delinquency in the greater community, develop information and intelligence-sharing systems to ensure that county actions are fully coordinated, and provide data and appropriate outcome measures.
The Juvenile Justice Coordinating Council is composed of the following 20 members:
Ten (10) Ex‐Officio Members:
- Chief Probation Officer, as Chair
- District Attorney’s Office representative
- Public Defender’s Office representative
- Sheriff’s Office representative
- Board of Supervisors’ representative
- Employment and Human Services Department representative
- Behavioral Health Services representative
- Alcohol and Other Drugs Division representative
- Public Health representative
- Juvenile Justice Commission Chair
Ten (10) Additional Members, appointed by the Board of Supervisors, as follows:
- City Police Department representative
- County Office of Education or a School District representative
- Four (4) At-Large members, residing or working within County of Contra Costa
- Two (2) Community-Based Organization representatives
- Two (2) At-Large youth, fourteen to twenty-five years old and residing or working within County of Contra Costa
Appointments to the Juvenile Justice Coordinating Council will be for the remainder of a two-year term ending December 31, 2023. The JJCC meets monthly October through April, and bi-monthly the remainder of the year. Members have the option to serve on two (2) subcommittees that each currently meet on a monthly basis.
Applications will be due by 5 p.m. on February 14, 2022, and all timely applicants will be invited to the public interview process conducted by the Board of Supervisors’ Public Protection Committee: Supervisors Candace Andersen, District II, and Federal Glover, District V. This committee will then recommend a selection of applicants for Board of Supervisors to appoint to the Juvenile Justice Coordinating Council.
Below is a complete timeline of this recruitment process to fill the two (2) vacant JJCC seats:
- February 14: Final Day of the Application Period, due by 5:00 p.m.
- February 28: Public Protection Committee Meeting: Interviews
- March 8: Board of Supervisors Appointments
Application forms can be obtained from the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors by calling (925) 655-2000 or by visiting the County webpage at https://www.contracosta.ca.gov/3418. Completed applications should be emailed to [email protected]. Applications can also be mailed to the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors Office at 1025 Escobar Street, 1st Floor, Martinez, CA 94553.