Martinez, CA – On March 26, 2019, Contra Costa County’s Board of Supervisors, Chief Administrative Officer, staff and building partners celebrated the “Topping Out” of its new administrative building in Martinez. The ceremony on the new site marks the placement of the last piece of structural steel on the construction, a significant milestone for the project.
When the 71,000-square-foot administration building is complete, it will allow Contra Costa County to better serve the community with a dynamic, welcoming space that is both efficient and distinctive.
“Placing the final steel beam on the new building today confirms the County’s commitment to keeping this project on schedule and on budget,” said Board Chair, Supervisor John Gioia. “We are excited to mark the milestone toward a new building that will make it easier for residents to access county services.”
Spearheaded by the Supervisors and County Administration, the $60 million sustainable building commenced construction in 2018 and is on schedule to open to the public by spring 2020.
Contra Costa County is working with contractor Hensel Phelps and Fentress Architects to create an efficient and community-friendly space for County residents and visitors. The new building will house office space for a variety of county departments, including a Board of Supervisors meeting chamber.
Targeting LEED Gold certification in building sustainability, the architectural design for the building will create an efficient and welcoming landmark for downtown Martinez and the surrounding community. Construction of the four-story building’s steel structure will efficiently manage gravity loads and seismic forces among its interconnected columns and beams.
“Strength, flexibility and innovative design-build solutions, project administration and collaboration are keeping this key project on schedule to benefit the public the County serves,” expressed David J. Twa, County Administrator.
Contra Costa County Administration Building –
- Project Management: Contra Costa County staff, including Public Works Department, Capital Projects and the County Administrator’s Office
- Architect: Fentress Architects
- Contractor: Hensel Phelps
- Structural Engineer: Thornton Tomasetti
- Construction Manager: Vanir
- Location: Martinez, CA
- Program: Office space for a variety of county departments, a large assembly chamber, conference rooms, work stations, and support spaces for the county.
- Area: 71,000 square feet
- Project Cost: $60 million
- Status: Under construction, opening 2020
- Sustainability: Slated for LEED Gold Certification