At approximently 9:30 am Sunday, the East Contra Costa Fire Protection District responded to a report of a kitchen fire in the 50 block of Cloverleaf Circle in the City of Brentwood.
Upon arrival, Engine 52 reported smoke showing from the home where they located a kitchen fire that had extended to the hood above the oven. That fire then extended into the attic.
By 10:05 am, the fire was out and Red Cross was contacted for 3 people in the home.
According to fire marshal, the owner of the home sustained second degree burns on his foot while trying to attempt to put out the fire while cooking chicken nuggets. The damages were estimated at $80k.
The cause of the fire was unattended cooking.