Travel volume is just shy of pre-pandemic levels, AAA data reveals
WALNUT CREEK, Calif. – This holiday season is going to be one of the busiest in recent history, according to AAA data.
Nearly 55 million people are expected to travel for Thanksgiving. That’s an increase of 1.5 percent over 2021 and 98 percent of pre-pandemic travel volume. Of those travelers, more than 7.3 million are estimated to come from California.
Air travel is predicted to see the greatest growth in travelers. About 4.5 million people are flying to their Thanksgiving destination, a nearly 8 percent increase over 2021. And nearly 49 million people are expected to travel by car.
“The upcoming holiday is projected to be one of the busiest for travel in the past two decades,” said Brian Ng, Senior Vice President of Membership and Travel Marketing for AAA Northern California. “Planning ahead will go a long way toward alleviating holiday travel stress.”
AAA Northern California Offers Five Thanksgiving Travel Tips
- Airport parking lots fill up fast. Reserve a spot ahead of time.
- Expect long TSA lines and consider not checking a bag for additional flexibility if flights are delayed or rescheduled.
- Road traffic peaks the Wednesday afternoon before Thanksgiving. Travel during off-peak periods (before 8 a.m. or after 8 p.m.), if possible.
- Over 400,000 Thanksgiving travelers will call AAA for roadside assistance nationwide. Get a pre-trip inspection to ensure your vehicle is road-ready.
- Gas prices are nearly $0.83 cents more per gallon than last year. Find the lowest gas prices on your travel route with the AAA Mobile App.
About AAA Northern California
AAA has a proud history of serving Members for over 100 years. AAA is on a mission to create Members for life by unleashing the innovative spirit of 5,300 employees representing more than 6 million Members across Northern California, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, Montana, Wyoming, and Alaska. In addition to legendary roadside assistance, AAA offers home, auto, and life insurance, travel, and home security services. Learn more at AAA.com.