Wednesday, October 10 is International Walk to School Day. Students in Antioch, Brentwood, and Oakley will celebrate after their fall break on Wednesday, October 17.
Participating Schools, October 10
- El Monte Elementary, Concord
- Fair Oaks Elementary, Pleasant Hill
- Highlands Elementary, Concord
- Holbrook Language Academy, Concord
- Los Medanos Elementary, Pittsburg
- Meadow Homes Elementary, Concord
- Parkside Elementary, Pittsburg
- Stoneman Elementary, Pittsburg
- Valle Verde Elementary, Walnut Creek
- Walnut Acres Elementary, Walnut Creek
- Walnut Heights Elementary, Walnut Creek
- Westwood Elementary, Concord
Participating Schools, October 17
- Almond Grove Elementary, Oakley
- Gehringer Elementary, Oakley
- Laurel Elementary, Oakley
- Marsh Creek Elementary, Brentwood
- Oakley Elementary, Oakley
- Sutter Elementary, Antioch
- Vintage Parkway Elementary, Oakley
International Walk to School Day encourages the healthy habits of daily physical exercise and spending time outside. Other benefits include reduced air pollution, less traffic congestion, and opportunities for community building.
Street Smarts Diablo is a program that teaches students to use sidewalks and crosswalks, make eye contact with drivers before passing driveways or stepping into the street, and to wear bright, reflective clothing. Students on bikes should wear helmets, ride on the right side of the street with the flow of traffic, and use bike lights.
About Street Smarts Diablo
Street Smarts Diablo is a traffic safety program that educates pedestrians, bicyclists, and drivers at no cost to schools in central and eastern Contra Costa County (Antioch, Brentwood, Clayton, Concord, Martinez, Oakley, Pittsburg, Pleasant Hill, Walnut Creek, and unincorporated areas of the county). Street Smarts Diablo is a 511 Contra Costa program funded by the Contra Costa Transportation Authority and the Bay Area Air Quality Management District’s Transportation Fund for Clean Air. More Street Smarts Diablo program information can be found at StreetSmartsDiablo.org.