Pittsburg Toddler Bitten by Rattlesnake Airlifted to Children’s Hospital in Oakland


At 7:52 pm Tuesday, a toddler playing in her backyard was bitten by a rattlesnake and was airlifted to Children’s Hospital in Oakland.

Contra Costa County Firefighters responded to the 2900 block of Rio Verde in Pittsburg and upon arrival, located the snake nearby where they trapped the snake.

The call originally came in as an allergic reaction but it was suspected a snake bite in the foot. Engine 86 handled the call along with AMR with REACH 3 responding.

Both the toddler and snake were taken to the hospital. No word on her condition has been released.

Symptoms of a Rattlesnake Bite

  • One or two puncture marks
  • Pain, tingling or burning at the area of the bite
  • Swelling at the area of the bite
  • Bruising and discoloration at the site of the bite
  • Numbness
  • Nausea, weakness and lightheadedness.
  • Difficulty breathing

According to the American Red Cross, If bitten by a pit viper (rattlesnake, copperhead, cottonmouth):

  • CHECK the scene to make sure it is safe.
  • CHECK the child or infant.
  • Reassure the child or infant that you are going to help.
  • CALL 9-1-1 or the local emergency number.
  • Wash the wound.
  • Keep the injured area lower than the heart