Mt. Diablo Resource Recovery and the Pittsburg Chamber of Commerce are looking for volunteers for a Earth Day cleanup on Saturday, April 24 from 8:00 am to noon.
All ages are welcome and 17 and under are required to have an adult with them as the cleanup will be held along Century Plaza Blvd. in the City of Pittsburg.
Enter to Win Prizes
Mt. Diablo Resource Recovery is giving away three $75 grocery gift cards and some cool MDRR reusable swag. To enter our Earth Day Challenge and a chance to win, remember to tag us using #BeResourcefulOnEarthDay2021 on social media on or before 4/22/2021.
- First and most importantly, everyone can participate in Earth Day Clean-Up, no matter what age. There are even places accessible to wheelchairs.
- Children under 17 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian (preferably not an 18 year old)
- Service groups are encouraged to come and wear your group shirts. We will be taking pictures and videos for Facebook live.
- No animals allowed, except for service dogs with documentation. This is for the dogs safety as we don’t want them to be at risk for eating or picking up something not good for them.
Volunteers should plan on bringing:
- A signed waiver: ALL volunteers must have a signed waiver. Volunteers under 18 must have a parent or guardian’s signature as well as be accompanied by an adult who is responsible for them. If you accidentally don’t bring a signed waiver, we may be able to provide them to you.
- A bucket or reusable bag, if you can* We hope to have them on hand, but could always use the help. An MDRR dumpster will be available for disposal of full bags.
- Gloves (like gardening gloves or leather work gloves) to protect your hands. Plastic gloves will be provided.
- Water – A reusable water bottle is preferred. We will have water on hand, but plastic bottles – which contribute to the landfill.
- (Optional) Funds for Lunch! Earth Day Clean Up Day ends at noon, which makes for a great opportunity to patronize our local fabulous restaurants! If you are not able to do that, please bring a snack.
What to Wear:
- MASKS are required. Even if vaccinated, for the comfort of participants, it is appreciated and easier to just wear a mask when around others.
- Closed-toed comfortable shoes
- A hat (if you prefer)
- An extra layer, like a sweater or jacket in case it is cold. There could potentially be changing weather.
- Your own gloves – work gloves are preferred but we will have some medical gloves on site
What will be provided:
- Some water will be available
- Safety traffic vests (to be returned at the booth after your clean up is done)
- Medical Gloves will be on hand
- Irrigation Flags to use for special item clean up
- Some Ace Hardware and MDRR swag will be available. First come, first serve – until supplies last.
What to Expect:
- Try to arrive at our event a little before the end of registration to get ready for the Cleanup.
- Take a before picture and an after picture and post to the Chamber or MDRR Facebook page and use the hashtag #EarthDayCleanPitt21. We will be around taking pictures and videos as well – so please be aware if you are at clean up day, you may be shown in pictures or videos.
- Chamber Staff and MDRR will be on site to assist and direct where to clean for the day. You will be sent information and a confirmation before you arrive. Please be patient as this is our first annual event and we want to make sure everyone is safe and happy.
- We will be cleaning up every piece of human-created trash you can find, no matter how small! If for some reason you find needles or items like condoms and are not comfortable picking them up safely, we will be providing irrigation flags to mark the locations so that someone trained can pick up those items.
- Take a moment to look out at your Cleanup site and appreciate how much cleaner, healthier, and nicer it is. Congratulate yourself on a job well done, and thank yourself and your fellow volunteers for helping to protect our coast and ocean. We certainly do!
* Volunteers that sign in and work will be entered to win one of our fabulous prizes donated by Pittsburg Ace Hardware and Travis Credit Union/Pittsburg Chamber. There are approximately five (5) prizes.