On this episode, I chat with Kish Rajan of Mt. Diablo Resource Recovery in Concord where we talk about the California Recycling Crisis. He began his public sector career on Capitol Hill as an aide to Senator Barbara Boxer and then later to Phil Angelides who went on to become California State Treasurer. He is also served a term on the Walnut Creek City Council and in 2012 was appointed by Governor Jerry Brown to the Office of Business and Economic Development (Go Biz)
- iTunes Direct Link: Click here
- Google Play Direct Link: Click here
- Spotify Direct Link: Click here
- Stitcher Direct Link: Click here
During this chat, we talk about the California Recycling Crisis and impact China has had by no longer taking all our materials. Impact Amazon boxes are having along with bills such as plastic straw bans, plastic bag bans and now paperless receipts. Potential for increased rates for residential users while discussing impacts of California Assembly Bill 1383. We touch on illegal dumping and what can and cannot be placed in blue recycle bins. Finally, Mt. Diablo Resource Recovery in Pittsburg is hosting an Earth Day Event for local families.
- 03:15 – we talk about the San Francisco Giants and their upcoming season. We get into the 25-man roster and whether or not to trade Madison Bumgarner.
- 05:25 – Is California in a recycling crisis? How we can rally to take action as China has stopped taking all our materials (paper, plastic, etc.)
- 08:25 – What about amazon cardboard and types of paper? What can be recycled?
- 9:47 – Kish explains what China used to do with the material they took, regardless of what the cost was.
- 10:39 – Since we sent everything to China, did it delay the US research and development for our recycling plan? Kish explains China caused the US to get sense of complacency around what recycling really is.
- 13:50 – Wouldn’t a logical step telling all these companies putting out these products to change how they export products? Kish gets into how do you actually solve the problem? Kish gets into the idea of banning single use products.
- 15:28 – Is this recycling crisis going to cause rate increases to process materials?
- 18:00 – Can we just blame China for a rules change?
- 20:35 – What about these straw bills, plastic bags, paperless receipts… is this just the start?
- 23:00 – How do we change the mindset of naysayers who may not believe recycling is a crisis? Kish explains why it is a real life problem.
- 25:00 – Senate Bill 1383 and the impact it is having as well as unintended consequences? Kish explains that recycling is not free and the question is how do we pay for it.
- 30:45 – Illegal dumping and will increase in fees increase to more dumping throughout Contra Costa County?
- 35:17 – What are some items that can be placed in the blue recycle bin? And what cannot?
- 37:09 – Mt. Diablo Resource Recovery Earth Day Event in Pittsburg on April 13.
- 38:15 – 1980’s-1990’s whatever happened to those PSA’s about recycling and importance of education. Kish explains how CALRecycle needs to get more involved. Kish explains how this is a serious message that needs to get out.