This week, Antioch City Council Candidate Mike Barbanica released the following statement which included 5 Ways to get the City of Antioch back on track. Here is his list.
- HIRE MORE POLICE OFFICERS … don’t DEFUND the Antioch Police. Fund body cameras on every Antioch Police Officer and put School Resource Officers in our schools. Work with our residents of color to identify ways we can eliminate racism in our community.
- BREAK UP THE HOMELESS ENCAMPMENTS … Antioch should NOT be the service city for our County’s homeless population, nor should we be housing the homeless in trailers/motel rooms that are withing ¼ mile of our schools. Turn to the County for social/mental health services and housing assistance. Arrest those who are harboring weapons, dealing drugs and stealing/stripping vehicles.
- CAPITALIZE ON OUR DOWNTOWN WATER VIEWS … Antioch has beautiful water views Downtown and at our marina. Smith’s Landing is a good start. Let’s turn our downtown into a place where people want to live, visit and hang out by the river!
- MAKE CODE ENFORCEMENT A NEIGHBORHOOD EFFORT … just like we did with Neighborhood Watch. City code enforcement officers can’t do this alone. To clean up blight, we need to institute a way for neighbors to get involved in reporting and helping to eradicate unsightly properties and trash dumping on our streets. We can do this!
- EMBRACE ONE DIVERSE, UNITED ANTIOCH … Antioch is one of the few cities in Contra Costa County where people of all ethnicities, all colors, come together and live as ONE COMMUNITY. We need to celebrate this diversity – NOT allow politicians to use it to DIVIDE us for their own political gain.
For more information on Mike Barbanica, visit him at: www.mikebarbanica.com