On Thursday, May 30, the Antioch Homeless Encampment Task Force will hold a nearly 11-hour marathon meeting to gather public testimony on the impacts of “encampments” on local communities.
The Task Force will seek testimony from regional, county and city agencies, community-based organizations, homeless advocates and volunteers to build the committee’s knowledge base around the impacts of “encampments” on local communities. This meeting is part of a 4-part series.
The move comes after Antioch has struggled to tackle the homeless impact in the community and encampments that continue to pop up around town which has created blight, and crime issues as well as an impact on city services.
Homeless advocates have requested the city build a homeless shelter, while also designate encampment locations for both homeless to set up camp, as well as park RV’s and vehicles. There has also been rumblings that members of the Antioch City Council will propose homeless encampment locations.
This discussion comes after preliminary data released from the Contra Costa Health Services which showed a 3% increase in homeless, however, over a 2-year count, there was a 43% increase. The data showed that 668 persons had shelter, while 1,627 persons went without shelters, including 3% being families and 97% single adults. A breakdown of where the homeless were located in the county is expected in June.
Meanwhile, on May 22, Governor Gavin Newsom announced a Statewide Task Force. The Homeless and Supportive Housing Advisory Task Force will meet a number of times throughout the year in cities and counties around the state to observe best practices firsthand and receive input from governments and constituents statewide to propose solutions to address the homelessness epidemic.
Along with his Task Force, Newsom announced a May budget revision which included $1 billion to fight California’s homelessness crisis
If You Go:
On March May 30th, 2019, Nick Rodriguez Center Center, 213 F Street, Antioch, CA 94509
Opening Remarks, 8:45 am
By Antioch City Council Members Lamar Thorpe & Joy Motts
Overview of Homelessness in Contra Costa County, 9:00 – 10:00 am
1. Teri House, City Antioch CDBG/Housing Consultant
2. LaVonna Martin, Contra Costa County Director, Health, Housing, & Homeless Services
Deep Dive-Contra Costa County/Regional Efforts, 10:15 – 11:15 am
1. Michael Fisher, Manager, Contra Costa County Core Teams
2. Armondo Sandoval, CIT Coordinator, BART
3. Contra Costa County Fire (TBA)
4. Robert Weston, Project Manager, CoCo Lead Plus, Health Right 360
5. Steve Ponte, Chief Operating Officer, Tri-Delta Transit
Deep Dive-City of Antioch, 12:30 – 1:30 pm
1. Tammany Brooks, Chief, Antioch Police Department
2. Forrest Ebbs, Director, Antioch Community Development Department
3. George Harding, Manager, Antioch Animal Services
4. Jon Blanc, Director, Antioch Public Works Department
Meeting Basic Needs-Education, Medical Services, Housing 1:45 – 2:45 pm
1. Lisa Perry, Homeless Liaison, Antioch Unified School District
2. Valentino Walker, Sutter Health Rep
3. T’Sendenia Gage, Program Coordinator, Student Success & Retention, Los Medanos College
4. Anthony Aiello, Director, East Bay Men’s Recovery Center
Meeting Basic Needs-Food, Closing, Basic Necessities, 5:30-6:30 pm
1. Ken Kickner, Shower House Ministries
2. Joleen Lafayette, Executive Director, Loaves & Fishes of Contra Costa
3. Nicole Gardner, Executive Director, Facing Homelessness in Antioch
4. Ashley Mahan, CEO, Urban Upreach Inc
Overcoming Homelessness, 6:45 – 7:45 pm
Each panel will be streamed LIVE on Facebook @lamar.a.thorpe and @joymotts2018. At the conclusion of the hearing, the videos will be made available on youtube (searchable by panel heading). There will be a 30 day comment period following the live stream. All comments submitted in the comments section of the Facebook and youtube posts will be reviewed and considered public testimony by the committee.
*Following the May 30th public testimony meeting, the task force will meet again on June 10, 2019, to gather additional public testimony from residents. The time and location will be announced at a later time.