On Tuesday, the Antioch City Council, who is also the Police Oversight Standing Committee, will be holding a special meeting to discuss its policy on body-worn cameras and policy on mobile video/audio recordings.
This will be the second attempt to pass a policy that will allow the Antioch Police Department officers to begin placing the cameras on officers and using them in the field. The city already has the cameras and officers are trained.
At the June 13 meeting, the committee rejected the proposed policy in a 2-3 vote with Mayor Lamar Thorpe and Councilmembers Tamisha Torres-Walker and Monica Wilson all suggesting changes should be made. Councilmembers Mike Barbanica and Lori Ogorchock supported the policy as is and did not want to delay the use of body cameras in the field any longer.
Should the policy be approved Tuesday, it would come back before the Antioch City Council for final vote.
Tidbits from the Policy:
- When to Activate: officers shall activate Body Worn Camera (BWC) prior to initiating investigations and enforcement activity, whether self-initiated or in response to a dispatched call.
- Officers shall not be required to activate or deactivate their BWC based solely on the requests or demands of a citizen, but rather rely on their training and this policy to direct their use of the BWC.
- No employee of this department shall intentionally disable any of the automatic activation features of this BWC system.
- Storage and Retention of Recordings
- Recordings should be retained for a minimum of two-years
- Recordings containing evidence that may be relevant to criminal prosecution should be retained for any additional period of time (until matter is resolved, defendant released from custody or appeal is final)
Antioch Police Oversight Standing Committee
Tuesday, July 27 at 4:00 pm
- March 9, 2021 – Council approved purchase and use of body-worn camera and dash cameras. (see Story)
- April 13. 2021 – Council established the police reform standing committee and then renamed it to Police Oversight Standing Committee – which reviews and recommends policy.
- June 13, 2021 – Antioch Police Oversight Fumbles Over Policy Language Delays Launch of Body Worn Cameras (see Story)