In this episode, I chat with Walnut Creek City Councilmember Justin Wedel who provides a first hand take on the recent Walnut Creek Protests as he was documenting on Twitter what was going on. We get into the difference between peaceful protests versus looters. We talk about the Miles Hall Shooting, the Walnut Creek Police Department and impacts of COVID-19 on the Walnut Creek Budget.
- 01:13 – Quick bio of Wedel
- 03:15 – we get into the recent Walnut Creek protests. Wedel explains while most of them have been peaceful, he never thought he would see looting or see boards on windows of city buildings. But he does highlight the looting should not be associated with the peaceful protests.
- 06:57 – We get into the blocking of the Freeway by protesters.
- 10:00 – Wedel explains what it was like documenting all the protests on Twitter as well as the mixed response. Explains he wanted a first hand view and to better understand the protesters perspective which could result in policy changes.
- 12:32 – on what dialogue was like with some of the protesters.
- 13:38 – I get into the photos shown by Wedel versus TV media images being shown.
- 15:50 – Wedel explains how he believes the city responded to the protests.
- 17:09 – We get into the 8 Can’t Wait Campaign and Walnut Creek Police Response.
- 20:22 – We speak on the video release of the Miles Hall shooting in Walnut Creek.
- 25:28 – Wedel highlights what he would like to see moving forward in an overall conversation.
- 31:50 – why can’t we do microclimate discussions across Contra Costa County to make it a more regional approach on dialogue and community building to better understand one another. 8 Can’t Wait is only a start, much more discussion needs to occur.
- 43:00 – We get into the City of Walnut Creek budget and $12 million in the hole due to COVID-19. Cuts have to be made.
- 48:30 – Wedel talks about the Walnut Creek Rebound Program to provide social distancing approved restaurant based options to allow them to be on the street/sidewalk for service.
- 51:50 – when COVID-19 lifts, what is some of the first things Wedel will do.
- 54:50 – Final thoughts
- iTunes Direct Link: Click here
- Google Play Direct Link: Click here
- Spotify Direct Link: Click here
- Stitcher Direct Link: Click here
- Podbeam Direct Link: Click here
If you would like to be a potential guest, email firstname.lastname@example.org and explain why… this show is open to anyone in Contra Costa County.