On this episode, I chat with Frank Giovanni about this Saturdays Delta Blues Benefit Concert where we also get into the issues with social media, support for local artists and even get into talking about pizza and what is the perfect pizza.
The Delta Blues Benefit Concert on Saturday at the El Campanil Theatre is nearly a sellout with about 50-tickets The event provides grants and scholarships to benefit musical education. The event last year gave away $13,000 and this year they are up to a little over $14,000.
Or subscribe on iTunes & Google Play and never miss an episode.
- 00:13 – Frank G updates what is going on with the Delta Blues Benefit Concert where $14k has been raised. In 2-years, $27k has been given in scholarships & grants
- 02:08 – idea behind the Delta Blues Festival & Event which drew about 5k people.
- 04:37 – Volunteer efforts that go into the event.
- 05:36 – How the program has benefited the community to help students reach their potential.
- 09:25 – on difficulty where not enough applicants apply for scholarships and grants.
- 11:38 – Frankie G talks Shemkia Copeland, Jason James and Steve Freund and others coming to the El campanil Theatre in Antioch. Talks about Copeland being called the “Queen of Blues”.
- 19:45 – on working to keep the event in Antioch. Frankie G and I chat about supporting local venues and getting out of a home to support local entertainment.
- 23:27 – We get into the problems with social media making people anti-social nor listening to one another. We make a statement and walk away. If you don’t agree, you are wrong type mentality. We get into the music scene in East County (Antioch/Brentwood) and why social media is impacting Antioch and scaring people away from showing up to local events.
- 33:00 – We get into food… specifically Pizza!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Frankie G talks about FG Pizza and how to make a good pizza and he offers lessons to people to make good pizza and pastas.
- 38:38 – Frankie G answers how many slices of pizza he eats a month and his thoughts whether cauliflower pizza is really pizza.
- 40:25 – Frankie G offers tips for people who wish to learn to make their own pizza.
- 43:36 – Frankie G gives final plug for Delta Blues Benefit Concert with just 50 tickets left.
Delta Blues Benefit Concert Lineup:
- Shemekia Copeland
- Jason James
- Steve Freund
- Frankie G & the Conviction
- Kathy Tejcka
- Mac Akin
- and more…
The event will also feature a few surprise guests dropping in.
This event is sponsored by: El Campanil Preservation Foundation, Republic Services, Perforce Foundation, Stay Pleasant Hill, Larry & Sherry Bedford, Reign Salon, Mary’s Pizza Shack, Curtis Holzer – Farmers, Blue Star HVAC, Paradise Skate, Jim Lanter – State Farm, Bridgehead Self Storage, Morales – Fierro – Reeves.
What is this benefit for?
Simply put, the kids in our community. In 2018, they gave away $13,000 in grants and scholarships.
The Delta Blues Festival has always been about community and music and this year is no different. We will be presenting 3 scholarships, and over $10,000 in grants to help local schools with their music education. What better way to show our support than to give the money raised at the Benefit Concert, back to those in the community that teach our kids and help them find their way musically.
The scholarships and grants will be presented to the chosen applicant during our Benefit Concert.
More information can be found at: Delta Blues Festival Website