At 7:04 am Sunday, Contra Costa County Fire Protection District firefighters were dispatched to a report of a residential structure fire in the 2000 block of El Monte Way in the City of Antioch.
While responding, they received a report of a female in a wheelchair outside of the home with both residents out. While exiting the home, they sustained smoke inhalation, they were treated on scene and released.
According to Battalion Chief Huntze, the residents tried to exit the home out the back, however, due to the amount of smoke, they had to re-enter the home and make their way out through the front door. At that point, thick smoke was nearly chest high in the home.
Upon arrival, firefighters observed heavy smoke coming from the home with active fire both in the garage and attic. Crews made fire attack, however, the home was a complete loss.
Preliminary investigation showed the cause of the fire possibly came from the garage and was accidental. Both residents were displaced, and Red Cross was requested.
Antioch Police also responded to provide traffic control.
Editors Note: Sampling of CONFIRE incidents over past 12-hours
- 7:04 am- 2000 block El Monte Way, Antioch: Structure fire
- 6:43 am – Willow Ave & E 18th, Antioch: Vehicle Fire
- 5:44 am – Aragon Dr, Pittsburg: vegetation fire
- 4:20 am – Franklin ave, Bay Point: Structure fire
- 3:05 am – E 18th St, Antioch: vehicle fire
- 12:43 am – Prewett Ranch Dr, Antioch: structure fire + grow house
- 12:29 am – SR 4 & Railroad, Pittsburg: vehicle crash
- 11:06 pm – Gentrytown, Antioch: vegetation fire
- 8:27 pm – Pacifica Ave & Driftwood, Pittsburg – vegetation fire