On this episode, I chat with City of Pittsburg Mayor Jelani Killings on the peaceful marches around East Contra Costa County and about their recent special city council meeting to engage in conversation to take what is happening around the country and implement changes.
- Intro – we keep off the conversation as Jelani just arrived after attending two peaceful marches.
- 03:44 – We get into marches in East Contra Costa County, but TV media is showing people breaking things and causing havoc. We talk about peaceful protests
- 05:37 – We get into last weeks Pittsburg Special City Council Meeting with a lot to take away from mandatory curfew, local emergency, etc.
- 08:53 – Pittsburg Police found Molotov cocktails at Pittsburg Marina.
- 10:22 – We get into Pittsburg City Council Letter discussion. All the types of opinions from the Council being shared. Killings provides his thoughts.
- 15:25 – I get into how the Pittsburg City Council meeting made an impacted on me and how I will work on improving how I run ECT. Killings explains justice you want the right thing done.
- 20:10 – We talk about the Brentwood an Oakley protests along with what Pittsburg City Council discussion, its about education and sharing experiences.
- 22:40 – 1 in 3 African American Males goes to prison, where do the role models go? Where is the equity? Fatherlessness is a major issue explains Killings.
- 24:50 – Killings explains the Pittsburg City Council letter, want to continue a public discussion in the form of a forum or meeting.
- 30:55 – What happens when protest and marches stop, how do you take all that and turn it into action.
- 34:40 – How do we figure out what people want? Lots of defund the police conversation.
- 39:57 – Governor Gavin Newsom wants statewide standard on use of force. Assemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez talks about rubber bullets. Mike Gipson talks banning chokeholds. How do we get politicians from campaigning to governing. At what point do we go to far where we start losing police officer lives? How do we get to a balance or better way?
- 48:35 – Killings on whether people would change perspectives if they went through a modified police academy or training just for experience?
- 50:20 – on how Pittsburg can be a model cancel for action and how Merl Craft explained any approach must be regional to East County due to geography we are all tied together.
- 54:20 – NFL comes out and says they were wrong on Colin Kaepernick. How Drew Brees fumbled his comments.
- 57:10 – How this podcast would love to have this conversation on how the system can be improved from different members of the community.
- 1:02:49 – We switch gears and go into impact of COVID-19 on City of Pittsburg and budget cuts which could reach as high as 15%.
- 1:07:45 – Where is Pittsburg at in terms of bringing a grocery store to the city?
- 1:09:15 – What is going on with all the reckless driving and speeding in Pittsburg.
- iTunes Direct Link: Click here
- Google Play Direct Link: Click here
- Spotify Direct Link: Click here
- Stitcher Direct Link: Click here
- Podbeam Direct Link: Click here
If you would like to be a potential guest, email [email protected] and explain why… this show is open to anyone in Contra Costa County.