In this episode, I chat with Manny Soliz Jr. who is a candidate for Antioch City Council is District 1. We talk about a variety of issues from what he is seeing on the planning commission, homeless, the police department and the divisiveness currently going on. We talk about economic development and what needs to be changed for a better Antioch.
- 01:20 – Soliz talks about being on the Antioch Planning Commission and talks about the homeless trailers and why a site was never selected.
- 06:30 – We talk about Soliz talking about “poor leadership” and “divisiveness” in the City of Antioch. We get into economic development and back to homeless.
- 13:45 – We talk about how divisive the City of Antioch has become.
- 16:35 – We get into the treatment of Mayor Sean Wright and the rhetoric against him from protesters.
- 20:47 – Soliz talks about Defund the Police and Police Reform. We talk about 2012 and the impact of laying off Antioch Police Officers.
- 29:00 – we get into economic development on E 18th. We also get into the rental program and fees. We then move into Antioch’s perception even with a PIO and Opportunity Campaign.
- 33:40 – Soliz talks about how he would represent the entire city, not just District 1, but we discuss the idea of Sycamore Corridor Rivertown along with E 18th to KMART. Aside from Rivertown, the rest of the area in District 1 has been ignored. Soliz gives his vision of where District 1 is headed.
- 39:20 – We get into the fact Antioch City Council brought in an economic development director and never gave him a budget. We talk about what stops investors from coming into Antioch.
- 45:47 – How do we get the City of Antioch and Antioch Unified School District to work together and “get along” versus just pointing the finger at one another.
- 51:45 – Blight in District 1
- 52:50 – Beede Lumber Yard and what the real story is.
- 55:40 – We get into this idea of “C” level business owners downtown versus bringing in “A” business players which would draw people downtown and to the City of Antioch.
- 57:25 – Thoughts on the concept of shutting down Second Street in order to open it up to more outside dinning and walking/bicycles.
- 60:00 – Manny gives his reason why voters should consider voting for him.
- iTunes Direct Link: Click here
- Google Play Direct Link: Click here
- Spotify Direct Link: Click here
- Stitcher Direct Link: Click here
- Podbeam Direct Link: Click here
If you would like to be a potential guest, email [email protected] and explain why… this show is open to anyone in Contra Costa County.