At 12:20 pm Tuesday, Contra Costa County firefighters were dispatched to a report of a strong odor coming from rail carts on the BNSF railroad tracks at N. Parkside at Railroad in the City of Pittsburg.
Upon arrival, it was determined to be a possible HAZMAT situation and Pittsburg Police stated there is no danger to the public and there have been no evacuations ordered.
N. Parkside Dr. is closed to traffic between Davi Ave and Andrew Ave.
Robert Marshall, a spokesman for CONFIRE, stated just after 2:00 pm they have not yet determined what the odor/chemical was. He said HAZMAT was on scene investigating with AMR on standby as a precaution.
Marshall added there was a strong law enforcement presence on scene to keep people behind a perimeter as a precaution.
2:20 pm Update:
A precautionary shelter in place has been established for the Parkside neighborhood within the following street boundaries: Jimno Ave to Andrew Ave
Shelter in Place due to hazardous chemicals emergency in Parkside Manor in Pittsburg.
This is a message from the Contra Costa County Fire Department. There is a hazardous chemicals emergency in Pittsburg between Andrew Avenue and Jimno Avenue and North Parkside Drive and 17th Street. The danger will be much less indoors. Go inside, and close all windows and doors. Turn off all heaters, air conditioners, and fans. Unless you are using your fireplace, close your fireplace dampers and vents. Cover any cracks around doors or windows with tape or damp towels. Stay off the phone unless you need to report a life-threatening emergency at your location. Remain sheltered indoors until you receive further official instructions.
For more information go to: http://www.cococws.us
3:20 pm Update:
This is a message from Contra Costa County Fire Department and Contra Costa County Hazardous Materials. An All Clear has been issued for the hazardous materials incident in the Parkside Manor neighborhood in Pittsburg. The emergency situation has ended. Please feel free to resume normal activities. Please open doors and windows to air out buildings and homes.