On this episode, I chat with Jennifer Fink who launched a podcast called Fading Memories, an Alzheimer’s Caregiver Support show. We get into how and why she started it, including being on this journey for 20-years with her mom.
We get into community groups available for support, the Alzheimer’s Association, Dementia Dogs, GPS tracking for Alzheimer patients, why someone should set up a Trust/Will with someone with Alzheimer’s as soon as possible. Does diet and exercise help Alzheimer’s patients maintain memory.
- iTunes Direct Link: Click here
- Google Play Direct Link: Click here
- Spotify Direct Link: Click here
- Stitcher Direct Link: Click here
- 00:45 – Why Jennifer Fink went into podcasting and why focus on Alzheimer Caregiver Support. She explains her research and trying to find ways to reach her mom. She found everyone was different so she created a platform to share stories that may help others.
- 03:35 – Fink Explains value of podcasting
- 06:55 – Explains how she launched in January 2018 and process she used to launch.
- 09:45 – Fink explains how her mother was in her 50’s when she began to experience Alzheimer and how she has progressed over the past 20’s. Steps she took over the years.
- 11:24 – Is it better to correct people with Alzheimer’s or just go with it?
- 13:17 – In Contra Costa County, Fink explains help groups available to members of the community. She says locally, the Alzheimer’s Association has a group in both Brentwood and Antioch. More info: www.alz.org
- 15:15 – How time consuming is dealing with a parent/relative with Alzheimer’s? How has the group helped?
- 17:40 – How long does it take to figure out where someone with Alzheimer’s is at in their mental state and what they can remember.
- 21:06 – She speaks on how she volunteered to become the Alzheimer’s Association State Advocate for California. How anyone can help advocate.
- 22:47 – What is the biggest thing Fink has learned with Alzheimer’s.
- 23:54 – Why Golden Retrievers are the perfect pet for a Dementia patients’ dog.
- 26:21 – Why don’t people with Alzheimer’s or Dementia use GPS tracking or GPS watches, jewelry type things.
- 28:19 – Why joint podcasts are fun. We get into why Contra Costa Today is a confused podcast due to variety of content. Whereas niche podcasts will grow faster. We also get into podcast possibilities and lengths.
- 33:30 – Fink shares how she spoke to a family that should be the model for how families should handle this disease – the Care Committee (episode released around Thanksgiving 2018).
- 35:32 – when someone is in early Alzheimer’s, when should a family set up a Trust or Will.
- 37:40 – when caring for someone with Alzheimer’s, is it treating someone like a person or because of all responsibilities is it a job? Fink says 65% of caregivers end up in hospitals or dead before the person they are caring for.
- 40:45 – has there been any cases of people in their 30’s getting Alzheimer’s as most cases could begin as early as 40’s and 50’s.
- 42:15 – When someone is diagnosed, even if there is no cure, could diet and excise help?
- 46:19 – in launching the podcast, Fink explains what she hopes to achieve or provide to the audience.
- 53:53 – How people can find Jennifer Fink online and how to listen to the podcast.
For more information on Fading Memories, an Alzheimer’s Caregiver Show: www.fadingmemoriespodcast.com