Photos: Port Way Fire in Oakley Damages Bathroom

1

Picture 032

At 6:53 am Tuesday morning, crews from East Contra Costa Fire Protection District rushed to the 1800 block of Port Way in Oakley for a reported residential fire. Fire damage was limited to the bathroom with heavy smoke throughout the home.

A bathroom ceiling fan started the blaze which luckily fell through the ceiling which was lucky because it meant the attic or roof could not catch fire. Crews also did not have to cut through the roof which was another break for the resident—crews did have to tear into the attic from the inside and remove insulation as a precaution to ensure the fire did not spread.

Engine 93, 94 were on scene from ECCFPD while Contra Costa County Fire Protection District lent us Engine 81 and 88.  As of 8:45 am, crews are still wrapping up the scene.

On a side note, this is the second incident in the area after, a January fire destroyed a home on Burgundy Way. This incident was just a few houses away from where that  fire had occurred.

Update 5/19/2013

According to the resident, she put out the fire using a fire extinguisher she had in the home. She was able to put out the fire which was burning in the ceiling. What fell was the vent cover and not the fan which she also put out.

SHARE

1 COMMENT

  1. Great photos! And once again you are Johnny on the spot with the report. Thanks Burk! I’ll bet you are driving the weekly (and monthly) press crazy with your daily coverage.

    I hope that in the future our fire district gets the needed funding. They certainly are working hard. So much for the naysayers that said fires are not common. Looks like they were wrong.

    I had no idea they ran so many fire calls. Thanks Easy County Fire!

Comments are closed.