The Mt. Diablo Unified School District (MDUSD) is now accepting donations for its Homeless Outreach Program for Education (HOPE) for the Holidays.
Now through December 20, 2017 for gifts and wish list items to allow for wrapping, packaging and delivery on December 21 and 22, and through December 22, 2017 for financial contributions and gift card donations.
MDUSD’s Homeless Outreach Program for Education (Mt Diablo HOPE) staff are committed to addressing barriers to educational success for homeless students and foster youth, and ensuring the educational success of all students in the district. HOPE School Social Workers and other staff work with homeless families and foster youth caregivers to reduce stressors and connect families with needed resources, including housing resources, employment assistance, health care and health insurance, mental health care services, and other supports.
Currently, there are over 300 students (TK-12th grade) identified as homeless within MDUSD, and over 130 foster youth.
The HOPE for the Holidays campaign connects sponsors with homeless children and foster youth to help grant ‘wish list’ requests. Gift cards and tax-deductible donations are also welcome in supporting students during the upcoming holiday season. Donors can help in the following ways:
- Make a tax-deductible donation by sending a check to “Mt. Diablo HOPE,” 2730 Salvio St., Concord, 94519.
- Buy gift cards that enable parents and guardians to select their own items for their children. Department store and grocery store gift cards can be dropped off at the Mt. Diablo Unified School District Office, 1936 Carlotta Drive, Concord, CA, or mailed and dropped off at Mt. Diablo HOPE, 2730 Salvio St., Concord, 94519. This is our greatest need.
- Donate new hoodies or sweatshirts for students. Please drop off or send to:
- Mt. Diablo Unified School District Office, 1936 Carlotta Drive, Concord
- Willow Creek Education Center, 1026 Mohr Lane, Concord
- For online shopping, please send orders to Mt. Diablo HOPE, 2730 Salvio St., Concord
- Sponsor individual children who are homeless or in foster care. Personal wish lists of students are posted at https://goo.gl/Hj33Ex or call Mt. Diablo HOPE staff at 925.682.8000, ext 3054 before Dec. 15, 2017.
Each donation directly benefits homeless students and foster youth. Donations of any amount are welcome year round, and considered generous. For additional information, please contact James Wogan, Administrator, School Linked Services, Mt. Diablo Unified, at 925.682.8000, ext. 3054, or email@example.com, Imessage, text, or call mobile # 925.250.5500.
In accordance with the McKinney Vento Homeless Education Act (2002) related to homeleass students, and AB 490 (2003) related to foster youth, MDUSD School Linked Services staff assist schools, homeless shelters, foster care group home providers, foster parents, and students to enroll students in school immediately; to remain in the school of origin for the duration of time that the student is legally homeless or in foster care, to obtain transportation to/from school, to obtain needed nutrition & free meals at school, and to have access to the same programs and opportunities available to all students, and to ensure that education is provided in the least restrictive environment.