As of July 1st, Meals on Wheels Diablo Region (MOWDR) expanded its services further into East Contra Costa County and are now in need of volunteers.
In addition to hundreds of seniors already served by our Meals on Wheels program in the cities of Bay Point, Antioch, and Pittsburg, the organization is now delivering meals in Oakley, Discovery Bay, Brentwood, and Byron – an addition of 180+ more senior clients.
For more information on the expansion, click here.
According to Susannah Meyer, community engagement officer, the need for volunteers in all of East County is dire. There are over 15 routes in these cities that need to be filled, and potentially hundreds impacted if these meal delivery volunteer positions are not filled.
- Pick up is between 10:00 – 10:30 at locations in East County
- Delivery takes approximately 2 hours and covers approximately 15 senior homes
- Empty containers are then dropped off at the pick-up location.
Volunteers will be trained and need:
- Driving record clear of any moving violation for the past 3 years
- Cleared background check
- Ability to lift 15 pounds and get in and out of the car up to 15 times on their route.
Potential volunteers can go to their website and complete the application, or if they prefer, first call our office and speak with Leah McFarland, MOW Volunteer Coordinator, 925.937.8605.