The Antioch Rotary Club is celebrating its 25th Silver Anniversary Golf Tournament which on May 4th at the Lone Tree Golf Course in the City of Antioch. The club is looking for sponsors and in-kind donations for raffles.
A vital part of the Antioch community since 1947, Antioch Rotary Club, a non-profit service organization, has a reputation for excellence in community projects, from its free dictionaries for third-graders and its Empowerment Project to providing scholarships in our local high schools.
Antioch Rotarians feel that local projects that benefit its citizens including a focus on youth and literacy are important factors in having a successful community.
For the last 25 years, the Antioch Rotary has used its Annual Golf Tournament as its primary fundraiser to doing its service projects. The Antioch Rotary has made some incredible contributions to the community. These contributions include:
- $250,000 to give 30,000 Dictionaries to 3rd grade students in Antioch (every year Antioch Rotary buys and distributes to all 3rd grade students since 1998)
- $70,000 in scholarships to Antioch high schools and Los Medanos College
- $75,000 to International Vision Volunteers for eye and dental clinic in Zambia
- $30,000 to Antioch Senior Center
- $150,000 in other service projects for the City of Antioch.
- Support to the Building of Antioch Sports Legends and a Gazebo at the Antioch Historical Society
- Renovation of El Campanil Theater
- Curb Cutouts downtown Antioch to Assist Disabled Persons in Wheelchairs.
- Funding for K9 Dog Vests
- Uniforms Pants and Plumes Marching Band for AHS and DVHS
- Musical Instrument Repair at AHS
- Mural for Antioch Middle School
- Repairing Benches at the Antioch Marina
“We greatly appreciate the community support for our golf tournament. These sponsors along with Rotarians make our scholarships and community projects possible. We are grateful for their annual support. Many sponsors have contributed for years. With their support, the Antioch Rotary has been able to make a difference in the community,” said Ken Turnage II, President of Antioch Rotary Club.
One amazing Rotary service project is the Dictionary Project also known as READ, Rotary’s Empowerment of Antioch through Dictionaries, encourages children to use dictionaries so that they will be able to use the English language effectively during their school years and lifetime. Since 1998, dictionaries were given to over 30,000 children to promote literacy in our schools. Besides its own funds, Antioch Rotary Club received a $7,000 grant from District 5, Federal Glover’s Keller Canyon Mitigation Fund for the READ Program.
For tournament information and sponsorship/donations, please contact Tournament Director Sal Sbranti at 925-250-0091 or Team Captain Tirrell Muhammad at 925-709-4372.
To visit the Antioch Rotary Club meeting, the meetings are Thursdays at 12:15 p.m. at the Lone Tree Golf and Event Center in Antioch. Contact Lindy Maynes-Kolthoff, Club Secretary for more information: [email protected]. You may also follow them on Facebook.