On March 6, 2018, through a special all-mail ballot election, voters in the East Contra Costa Fire Protection District will have an opportunity to approve Measure A, which would decrease from 9 to 5 the number of members of the District’s Board of Directors. Measure A, if approved by a majority of voters, will take effect later this year when the District’s Directors will be elected for the first time.
The District currently has a nine-member Board, with two members appointed by the Contra Costa County Board of Supervisors, four members appointed by the Brentwood City Council, and three members appointed by the Oakley City Council.
On November 8, 2016, the District’s voters passed Measure N to transition the Board from an appointed Board to an elected Board. Board elections will be held for the first time on November 6, 2018, when all Directors’ seats will be up for election, though persons currently serving as appointed Directors will be eligible to run for seats as elected Directors. On December 7, 2018, the newly-elected Board members will take office and all of the current appointments to the Board will expire.
The District placed the measure on the ballot in hopes of increasing competition for directorships and improving the efficiency of District administration.
- If Measure A passes, voters will elect five Directors, at large, on November 6, 2018.
- If Measure A does not pass, voters will elect nine Directors, at large, on November 6, 2018. A majority of those voting on Measure A must approve the measure for it to pass..
HOW TO VOTE
Voters may vote by returning their ballots to the County Elections Division in person or by mail.
Voters may return their ballots by mail to the County Elections Division. Mailed ballots must be postmarked on or before March 6, 2018, and must be received by the County Elections Division in Martinez by March 9, 2018.
Ballots also may be dropped off at any of the following locations:
- County Elections Division in Martinez by 8pm on March 6, 2018, or on any day before March 6;
- Oakley City Hall, Brentwood City Hall, and Discovery Bay Community Center, during regular business hours, from February 12 to March 6, 2018; or
- County Elections Division’s Voter Services Center at the Brentwood Community Center on March 3, 5, and 6.
Voters do not need to drop off their own ballots. County Elections will accept properly completed ballots that are dropped off by a person other than the voter, such as a family member or a friend.
The County Elections Division will certify the results of the election no later than April 5, 2018.
For additional information about Measure A, please contact Fire Chief Brian Helmick at [email protected] or 925-584-8468.
ELECTION TIMELINE FOR MEASURE A
- February 5, 2018: Ballots and Voter Information Guides Mailed to Voters
- February 20, 2018: Deadline for Voter Registration
- March 6, 2018: Election Day
- April 5, 2018: Deadline for County to Certify Election Results
– November 6, 2017 District Resolution 2017-22 Calling an Election and Placing Measure A on the Ballot [pdf]
– Measure A Voter Information Guide [pdf]