The East Contra Costa Fire Protection District reported Monday that its September response time hit an average of 8:09 minutes after responding to 601 service calls. In the month of August, the average response time was 7:55 minutes after responding to 541 calls.
In the month of September, the District responded to 12 structure fires, 13 vegetation fire, 28 vehicle accidents and 5 vehicle accidents with rescue. Due to call volume during the month the District had zero engines available for responses 7 times, which totaled 3:44 hours.
Chief Hugh Henderson said having the Knightsen station open has helped, but the data is showing Engine 94 is running calls all over the District which is relieving stress on other stations.
“It has helped with our capacity, but even with the 10 calls in Knightsen, Engine 94 ran 152 calls in the District. It’s helping but its not solving the overall problem. You still have a district with 3 hours and 44 minutes where there was no coverage of the District for the community,” said Henderson. “It shows the engine is moving across the District, but what is really scary is if we don’t have that engine because we are depending on outside resources from outside the district which increase all of our response times.”
Henderson said with roll outs, we are averaging 29-calls per day for the District.
In the calendar year of 2015, the District ran 6,918 calls for service with an average response time of 7:54 compared to calendar year of 2014, where the District ran 6550 calls for service with an average response time of 7:21.
According to the District, in the month of September, Engine Company Rollouts
- Engine 52 (Brentwood) ran 30% of the calls for service rolling out of the station 258 times.
- Engine 93 (Oakley) ran 30% of the calls for service rolling out of the station 254 times.
- Engine 94 (Knightsen) ran 18% of the calls for service rolling out of the station 152 times.
- Engine 59 (Discovery Bay) ran 17% of the calls for service rolling out of the station 149 times.
- CALFIRE assisted in 3% of the calls for 28 rollouts.
- Auto Aid assisted in 2% of the calls for 16 rollouts
- Mutual Aid received assisted in 0% of the calls for 0 rollouts.
Average Response Time by Service Area:
- Bethel Island – 14:34Minutes
- Discovery Bay – 9:53 Minutes
- Knightsen – 9:10 Minutes
- Marsh Creek – 10:25 Minutes
- Oakley – 7:13 Minutes
- Brentwood – West – 7:44 Minutes
- Brentwood – East – 7:34 Minutes