On this episode, I speak with Vanessa Perry of the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention – Greater San Francisco Bay Area Chapter. The discussion focuses on suicide prevention, work being done, raising awareness.
If you need help, give the Contra Costa Crisis Center suicide prevention hotline a call at 1-800-833-2900.
- 01:10 – Suicide Prevention Service available to the community. National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.
- 02:15 – Struggle with suicide? Is it depression, needing someone to talk to? Myths?
- 03:10 – How did you get into suicide prevention? Finding your passion?
- 04:45 – Breaking the silence/stigma. It’s okay to talk about it, asking for help.
- 05:30 – How to ask for help?
- 07:10 – Safe reporting in the media?
- 09:20 – Role of bullying with suicide
- 10:55 – SAFETalk Training, warning signs of suicide
- 12:30 – Services in East Contra Costa County… is more needed?
- 14:05 – What is being done to raise awareness to increase suicide prevention?
- 15:50 – During Out of the Darkness Walk, what is it like to share stories? The impact? 17:29 – What is next to raise awareness? Bring a support group to East County?
- 18:14 – Out of the Darkness Walk link now live, people can sign up, donate.
- 18:45 – Interactions with schools and suicide prevention outreach
- 21:40 – Information on Oakley Out of Darkness on Oct. 13, 2018.
- 23:25 – closing
For more information, visit the https://afsp.org/chapter/afsp-greater…
Contra Costa County Resource Guide: http://www.crisis-center.org/wp-conte…