On Wednesday morning around 3:45 am, Contra Costa County firefighters were dispatched to a report of a vehicle fire in the former KMART parking lot on E. 18th Street in the City of Antioch.
According to Steve Hill, CONFIRE spokesperson, a 44-year-old female sustained several burns as a result of the fire while a male patient experienced minor burns.
A medical helicopter was requested and the female patient as airlifted to UC Davis by 4:30 am with second degree burns while the male patient was transported to Kaiser Antioch with minor burns to the face and hand.
Hill said that the cause of the fire was likely candles being used in the RV for warmth. He added this is the second serious fire caused by use of candles in the last few weeks.
“Coincidentally, the month of December historically sees the highest number of candle-caused fires. Heating-related fires are also most common this time of year,” said Hill. “As a result, we urge all citizens to avoid use of live candles and instead utilize the wide variety of electronic candles as a much safer alternative.”
According to the National Weather Service, the temperature in Antioch Wednesday morning was 42-degrees around the time of the fire.
Hill offered the following advice:
- use smoke AND carbon monoxide alarms in their homes, especially every sleeping room;
- inspect and test each monthly;
- have a family evacuation plan and practice it; and
- sleep with EVERY bedroom door closed.
No further information was provided on the condition of the patients.